Statistics show that at least 17% of the American population lose at least one of their permanent tooth because of tooth decay. Old age is no longer the main reason as to why people are losing their teeth.
Thanks to modern dentistry, there is a plethora of options for tooth replacement. Out of all the dental replacement options, dental implants near you are the most effective. Ever since their invention some decades ago, implants have rejuvenated smiles.
If you are missing one or all your teeth, our dentist in Beverly Hills, CA, can use full dental implants to replace them. The beauty of using implants is that it is a permanent tooth replacement option.
Without further ado, let’s dive into what makes implants an excellent tooth-replacement option.
Dental Implants 101
In layman’s terms, implants are titanium, screw-like posts that are surgically inserted in your gum. In essence, an implant gives you the option, which other restorations don’t; the chance to replace your whole tooth. Implants replace not only the crown but also the root of your tooth.
Whenever you lose a tooth, the underlying bone starts deteriorating. This can lead to loss of facial integrity and weakened bone. However, implants restore not only the aesthetic appeal but also the function of your teeth. They aid in maintaining the bone structure.
For a long time, implants were made of titanium, but now they are also made from zirconia.
Dental implants are usually made of three parts:
- Titanium screw-like posts. This is the part that our dentist surgically inserts to replace the tooth root.
- Abutment. This is a connector, which typically links the titanium posts to the dental prosthesis like a crown or bridge.
- Dental prosthesis. This is the visible part, which can be a crown, bridge, or denture.
Who Can Get Implants?
Ideally, anyone can get implants, so long as you can undergo teeth extractions or other simple dental surgeries. Either way, our dentist has to check the following:
Since the underlying bone deteriorates when you lose a tooth, our dentist needs to ascertain whether you have enough healthy bone that can support the implant. This is where a 3D imaging device comes in handy.
A bone grafting procedure is done if you do not have a healthy jawbone. The procedure aids your body to regenerate tissue and bone.
Your age can also determine the success rate of dental implants. They are more successful if the procedure is done in adults since they are done growing.
Teenagers and children will have to wait until their facial structure is fully developed.
You shouldn’t get implants if:
- You are suffering from an uncontrollable disease such as diabetes and heart disease
- You have undergone radiation therapy around your head and neck area
- You are a heavy smoker
What Is the Dental Implant Process?
Here is what you can expect when you get to our dentist’s office:
- You will meet with our dentist to ascertain whether you are the right candidate for implants.
- After a thorough examination, our dentist will insert the implant using surgical-guided technology.
- Then your bone will be given time to heal, which usually takes three to four months.
- Once your bone is healed, you will come in and get custom-designed crowns that are connected to the abutment or connector.
Why Are Dental Implants an Excellent Option?
The significant upside of using implants is that they do not depend on other teeth for anchorage. They fully mimic the function, look, and feel of your teeth.
Some of the benefits of using implants:
- Since they are a part of you, they are comfortable
- They can withstand the biting force to allow you to chew food
- They are durable and can last longer as long as you take proper care of them
- You will have improved speech since they do not move inside the mouth and there are no gaps
- They are the only procedure that can preserve the surrounding bone
When you get the best dental implants, you can be assured that your smile will be as good as new. If you need implants, you can talk to our dentist at Smile Atelier Beverly Hills.